This Photo Challenge asks for a picture of your favorite book. However, I despise being defined by one thing, and I change my mind a lot. Doesn't everyone?
So here are my book "pics" for this week...
Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother
by Amy Chua
This is a humorous take on "Asian Mothers". I really enjoyed reading about her successes as well as failings. Though she never truly admits to her failings. You still see that she can see where she "might" have gone wrong. It's also a refreshing way to look at how we motivate our children and challenges us to believe in them in a different and passionate way. I recommend this book for anyone who is a Tiger Mom, had a Tiger Mom, knows a Tiger Mom or even (Dare I say it?) wants to be a Tiger Mom.
Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson
This is an imersion into one of the worlds of the adolescent that is both frightening and all too real. Once again Anderson has captured a deeply emotional and horrifying facet of being a teenager. She has a way of capturing the turmoil of being a teen and survivng with other teenagers who and be awful and unbearable and parents who can't remember what it was like or seem blind to the situation altogether. Even though I am far past these youthful tragedies in age, I still remember what it was like. Hopefully none of you had to go through this and will not have kids who will go through this, but it is still great way to gain a better understanding of this situation.
If you enjoy this book, I highly recommend reading Speak and Twisted. (She captures the minds of male adolescents terrifyingly well in Twisted.)
No comments:
Post a Comment